Recent Programs & Events
Toy drive & Holiday Party
We hosted over 175 Shining Stars and their family members at our annual holiday party. Families enjoyed a hot meal, met Santa Claus, connected with new and old friends, and, of course, picked out presents. Lots of presents!
We are so grateful for the incredible donors and volunteers who make this event possible each year. This year, more than 35 businesses and organizations in Denver, Grand County, and the Roaring Fork Valley collected toys and games for our Stars to pick out at the holiday party. Wow!
Shining Stars: Next Chapter
From January 31 - February 4, we hosted 10 young adults at the third annual Shining Star: Next Chapter program. All of the participants were survivors of pediatric cancer. During the week, participants skied at Winter Park Resort and participated in therapeutic wellness programs each evening. The goal of the program is to provide these young adults with the tools and resources they need to successfully transition into adulthood and thrive!
2018 Aspen Winter Games
Skiing, snowmobiling, disco dance parties, swimming, snowboarding, art & crafts...the Shining Stars did it all during the Aspen Winter Games! From March 2 - 9, we hosted 67 brave pediatric cancer warriors at our annual 8-day adaptive skiing and snowboarding program. Click here to see more photos from the event, or click here to see the souvenir video.
Outreach Programs for the Shining Stars and families continue to flourish. ArtReach Denver provided tickets for A Christmas Carol, Beauty and the Beast, and the Rodeo All Stars. Kroenke Sports provided tickets for a Nuggets game and a Colorado Avalanche game. The Colorado Rockies season has started with tickets to two games on April 9th and 10th. These will be offered to the Shining Stars families on a monthly basis during the season. Chicago area families attended a Chicago Wolves game on March 18 thanks to the generosity of owners and Shining Stars supporters, Buddy Meyers and Jill Teitelbaum. The Wolves won!
Kids Helping Kids
Students from all over Colorado have been very busy helping the Shining Stars Foundation.
- Aspen Country Day School hosted a bake sale and a talent show with all proceeds going to the Foundation.
- The Shining Stars Club at Aspen High School held a clothing drive, some bake sales, and a Go Fund Me page fundraiser.
- Students Gracie, Deena, Clare and Cerys raised money for the Shining Stars by selling handmade candles at Aspen Middle School.
- Aspen Middle School student Eli generously donated the money he received on his 12th birthday in lieu of gifts to the Shining Stars
- Two students from Ross Montessori School made gift bags with handwritten notes and items for the Shining Stars at Winter Games
- Varenna Day and Brownie Troop #65685 in Denver raised money from the Girl Scout cookie sales and donated to the Shining Stars Foundation.
Kudos to all of these caring kids!